FALL HARVEST QUINOA SALAD
- Author: Lisa Lin
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
- 1 1/4 cups (225g) uncooked tri-color quinoa
- 2 cups (235ml) water
- 2 pounds (900g) butternut squash*
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces (225g) brussels sprouts
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 medium apple (I used a braeburn apple)
- 1/2 cup (75g) crumbled feta
- 1/3 cup (40g) dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup (10g) chopped parsley
- Add quinoa and water into a saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking the quinoa until all the water has nearly evaporated. Turn off the heat and cover the saucepan with a lid. Let quinoa sit for 15 to 20 minutes so the quinoa can fluff up.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Chop off both ends of the butternut squash. Peel outer skin. Split butternut squash in half by cutting it right down the middle. Remove seeds and chop squash into 1/4 to 1/2-inch chunks. Toss squash with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil and a tiny pinch of salt, about 1/4 teaspoon. Spread onto baking sheet and bake for 25 to 27 minutes, until the squash is fork tender. Remove from oven.
- Trim the bottoms of the brussels sprouts. Chop them in half, and then slice them into 1/4-inch strips.
- Heat another 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan. Add onions and sauté them for a minute or two, until they start to soften. Add brussels sprouts and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with a small pinch of salt and set aside.
- Add quinoa to a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, paprika and salt to taste.
- Slice apple into thin strips and toss with a tablespoon of lemon juice. This helps keep the apple from browning.
- Add butternut squash, onions, brussels sprouts, apple, feta, dried cranberries and parsley to the quinoa and stir everything. Adjust seasonings to your liking. If you want more tangy flavors in the salad, you can add a few tablespoons of vinegar or more lemon juice. Serve immediately.
*If you are using pre-cut butternut squash, you’ll want about 755g or 5 cups of squash.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Calorie information is for 1/8 of the recipe. Amount per serving: Calories: 294, Total Fat 12g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Sodium: 300mg, Cholesterol: 8mg, Total Carbohydrate: 42g, Dietary Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 10g, Protein 8g